Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 19 - Day of Rest (lots of pictures)

We started the day with a 22 mile ride in the rain.  Which isn't as bad as it may seem.  The head wind wasn't as strong, and since it was cloudy, it wasn't as hot.  So overall not a bad ride.  Ended up in Del Rio for a day of R & R. 

More roadside litter observations:

*  Texans seem to appreciate their shoes more than people from Arizona and New Mexico, the number of shoes along the road has gone down considerably. 

*  Banana peels are the new common sight - seems like we see one every 2-5 miles. 

*  I picked up a Craftsman 11/16 and 13/16 open faced combo wrench today.  Here are some tools that we have seen but didn't stop to pick up since we were zipping down a hill and didn't want to go back uphill for them (takes a while to stop the bike when you're doing 35 mph +):  1" socket breaker bar, chain tightener, channel locks, flat screw driver, fence pounder, and a pair of pliers.

*  We see a lot of hardware - mainly bolts.  Many of which appeared to come off vehicles rather than just falling out of the bed of a truck.  With as many as we see, makes us wonder how all the vehicles are staying together, and more importantly, when is the next big bolt going to fall off and we get to play dodge ball with it!


On to other news - it doesn't seem possible, but Kevin and I are both gaining belly fat.  You'd think with all the riding we're doing, that wouldn't happen.  But we sure do eat! Last night at about 10:15 Kevin asked - are you pregnant?    I said that I was pretty certain I was not, but why?  Because you're eating a bowl of rocky road ice cream, have three pickles waiting to be eaten next, drinking a Coke, and your belly is growing!  Pretty sure I'm not pregnant, but the indicators are compelling.

We did laundry today, stocked up on groceries and of course, kept eating.

Here are some random pictures from the trip that I haven't used on the blog.

 







3 Comments:

At March 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Do you know who made those brownish horses? I liked the picture of the clear rock in front of the fork. I can't wait til I see you in New Orleans.

Love,
Ben

I better not see that old truck being towed behind the camper when we come down. :) And if you guys are gaining belly fat after riding bikes for 10 hours every day, there's no hope for the rest of us! I better just give up. Love and miss you.

 
At March 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo's, and its fun to read about all the different item's you see on the road. A mechanic could stock his tool box, and start fixing that old GMC. I love the bumper, its got to be one of a kind!!!

Tow it back, and your old Chev will have a friend. If those two trucks could talk, what stories they could tell!!!!

Later Uncle John

 
At March 20, 2011 at 7:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pics-thanks for explaining the clear rock, Ben. I was afraid it was something they found in their food! I will treat you guys to a sit down dinner (with real silverware and everything) when I meet you near Austin next week.
Can't wait to see your little belly, Jason-we look more alike all the time, don't we....Yo Momma

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home